Monday, February 12, 2018

The Great Prom Dress Adventure of 2018

The Princess and I have started working on her prom dress.  We are making McCall's 7683 using the one shoulder bodice and the long skirt with the train.
We will be making the dress out of red sequined mesh for lots of sparkle and shine. 

So far we have adjusted the pattern and cut a muslin from a stash knit.  We will be assembling the muslin this weekend and checking the fit.

I am very excited to be working on a prom dress and working with such a gorgeous, fancy fabric.  I am also a little nervous since I have never worked with sequined fabric before.  I am sure it will be an adventure.

2 comments:

LinB said...

Buy lots of extra needles -- even the soft plastic of many modern sequinned fabrics will break needles. Also, plan to stop frequently to wipe your needle clear of adhesive and gunk -- I used a cotton ball wetted with rubbing alcohol when I sewed with these amazing-yet-tricksy fabrics.

End result will be worth all the effort. Bright red and sparkly is a great way to go to prom.

Anonymous said...

How very exciting. Having a daughter, being able to sew, and having a daughter who is willing to let you sew her prom dress is a wonderful gift. Enjoy! And give yourself lots of time...